Saturday, August 1, 2009

Going first

That's totally the worst. Well, not in all things. Going first in an organized gang-bang is probably preferable to second or anything after. And first dibs on the cake? Well, that's just awesome.

But how about the first person to give a class presentation? Nobody wants to be first. The best place to be is like third from last, when everybody has tuned out the presentation but nobody is looking at you, alone, to end the class.

Or the first person to volunteer for your kids' sports shit. Volunteer first and you'll be volunteering all year while the rest of the lazy bastards sit around and read the paper or chit-chat in little groups about ... well.. I don't know what they talk about since I don't have a little group all my own.

Anyway, I have a billion things that I think are the worst this week, but I have to write this stupid initial blog entry, and it's a lot of pressure. Jump in with something huge, like the Bush Administration or cancer, and I set the bar too hight. Write about something stupid like hipsters or crickets and it's pretty obvious we're not going anywhere with this.

So this is it. I went first and now it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment